Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Spider-man's-eye View

I'm a Spider-man obsessed 20 year old. I have well over a hundred comics on my bookshelf. I have a ton of action figures and coloring books. Whenever I'm in for the night at my apartment, you can bet you'll find me chilling in my Spider-man bathrobe. Above all else though, one of my favorite Spider-man things I have are my video games. I've spent countless hours swinging around Manhattan, beating up baddies and rescuing damsels in distress.

That being said, one of the times my family went to New York, I was shocked when I came to the realization that I had already seen a lot of the places we were walking around, all because of the time that I had spent swinging around the city. And that gave me an idea.

One night at our hotel room, I got online and found a list of filming locations for Sam Raimi's Spider-man trilogy. Then we set out on our adventure.

Our first stop was Doctor Octopus's laboratory in Spider-man 2 where he first tested out his fusion device. We only got to stand outside, so it wasn't too entirely thrilling. We also ran into this problem with Peter Parkers apartment, where we only got to stand outside and look at the fire escape.

One of the highlights of our little adventure was heading over to Joe's Pizza for lunch. In Spider-man 2, Parker worked there at the beginning of the movie, eventually getting fired. My dad decided to spice up the adventure a bit, and before we got our pizza, he walked in yelling "Why did you fire Peter Parker?!" Thankfully, the guy at the cash register had a good sense of humor, responding only with, "He was a really bad worker!" The pizza was pretty dang good too. If you're ever there, make sure to stop by Joe's Pizza at 233 Bleecker Street, Greenwich Village and snag a slice.

On our way to our next destination, we had a fun run-in with a different movie--Ghostbusters. We happened to walk by the firehouse that their station was located in.

One of the last places we stopped at was the Flatiron building at 175 Fifth Avenue-the filming location of the New Yorks finest Newspaper--the Daily Bugle. Once again, we only got to look at it from the outside, but it's still a pretty awesome building, and definitely a hard one to miss.

Our final destination (which is more of a usual New York touristy move) was to climb the Empire State Building. I had done this many times in my games, so I was pretty excited to finally get my real life Spider-man's eye view of New York City, and boy oh boy was it a view. I could see almost the entire island from just that one point-the Flatiron building, Central Park, you name it.

We ended the day back at our hotel, just relaxing, talking about what movie we would go through next. I had (somewhat) gotten to experience New York city from the eyes of my favorite superhero, and I was still pretty excited. On our way back, we even stopped at one of those silly souvenir shops and I bought a fake Peter Parker I.D. card. I think the only thing that would've made the day better was my own set of web shooters.

(I'll add pictures as soon as I get them from my parents' house)
Also, if you ever get the urge to go on your own movie adventure, make sure to check out http://www.movie-locations.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment